Our Mission and Vision
Our Mission is to inspire ALL girls to be strong, smart, and bold.
Girls Inc. provides hundreds of girls in Pinellas County with life-changing experiences and solutions to the unique challenges girls face.
- The Girls Inc. experience consists of people, an environment, and programming that, together, empower girls to succeed.
- Trained staff and volunteers build lasting, mentoring relationships in girls-only spaces that are physically and emotionally safe and where girls find a sisterhood of support with shared drive, mutual respect, and high expectations.
- Hands-on, research-based programs provide girls with the skills and knowledge to set goals, overcome obstacles, and improve academic performance.
At Girls Inc., girls grow up healthy, educated, and independent. Today, girls continue to encounter significant obstacles to their well-being and success.
- 1 in 4 girls will not finish high school.
- 78% of girls are unhappy with their bodies by age 17.
- 3 in 10 girls will become pregnant before the age of 20.
- 1 in 5 girls will be a victim of childhood sexual abuse.
Girls Inc. meets these challenges by helping girls explore and celebrate their strengths, their voices, who they are today, and who they will become. Girls Inc. equips girls to navigate gender, economic, and social barriers and grow up healthy, educated, and independent. Girls build confidence and embrace positive decision-making to take charge of their health and wellbeing, and achieve academic, personal and career goals. With a belief in girls’ rights and abilities, Girls Inc. ensures: Girls grow up strong (healthy). Girls Inc. teaches healthy living so girls are able to make informed decisions, resist peer pressure, avoid risky behaviors, and take charge of their health:
- Girls develop assertiveness and refusal skills to avoid substance use and educate peers and younger girls on these issues.
- Girls learn about their bodies and identify ways and reasons to avoid early pregnancy and prevent STIs.
- Girls learn media influences on self-perception.
- Girls embrace sportsmanship, positive risk taking, and team building.
- Girls build a holistic approach to stress management, nutrition, physical activity, and body image.
Girls grow up smart (educated). Girls Inc. provides academic enrichment so girls increase their love of learning, improve performance in school, aspire to and plan for education beyond high school, and explore non-traditional careers:
- Girls receive homework help and tutoring in support of classroom learning.
- Girls boost literacy skills and take ownership of learning.
- Girls develop enthusiasm for and skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and view these fields as career options.
- Girls prepare for college, including course selection, campus visits, and securing financial aid.
- Girls explore job readiness through workshops and introduction to diverse women professionals in various careers.
Girls grow up bold (independent). Girls build life skills to set and achieve goals and increase resilience in the face of obstacles to live productive and fulfilling lives:
- Girls learn to earn, save, and spend money with confidence and understand economic concepts from the individual to global levels.
- Girls build leadership skills and create lasting social change through community action projects.
- Girls gain the skills and confidence to be future voters, candidates, and legislators with nonpartisan civic engagement activities.
- Girls learn to avoid and address violence in their homes, relationships, and communities.
- Girls develop their voices and learn to positively advocate for themselves and others.
A commitment of time and talent
Together, we can increase the number of girls who have the opportunities to develop their special strengths, to break past barriers and achieve their full potential and help others, as they were helped, along the way.
- Imagine a world in which many more girls grow up Strong, Smart, and Bold.
- These young women are the influencers, role models, for their sisters, brothers, parents, other family and friends, and the next generation. They become leaders, positive contributors to their communities, institutions, and the larger society.
This is what your commitment of time, talent, and treasure can and will do for the enduring benefit of us all. Please join us.